Re: [TenTec] Elecraft K3 vs Orion a bit premature?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Elecraft K3 vs Orion a bit premature?
From: "Craig ..." <vk3he@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 05:52:00 -0700 (PDT)
Premature it may be, however  not one manufacturer has
addressed all of the issues of transceiver design in
balanced wholesome fashion.

While there has been a tremendous focus on receiver
performance and getting rid of keyclicks, very little
has been done in the way of SSB linearity. A new test
on the O2 by SM5BSZ has produced results for SSB that
is not  an impressive result for the O2.

http://www.sm5bsz.com/dynrange/ssa2007/ssa2007.htm

 The same could be said for Omni 7's SSB linearity. It
will be interesting to see if the K3 has addressed
this issue of ALC induced splatter.

What is interesting is that if you read the ARRLs
report on the Orion and Orion 2 we  find some
excellent 2 tone figures, however under real world
voice conditions SM5BSZ finds the figures not all that
great.   Maybe the ARRL should use the method that
SM5BSZ uses for checking SSB transmitter linearity.

Another feature that would be very useful is some
attempt to calibrate the S meter. At least the Omni 7
has moved in the right direction here. The K3 it seems
 will just be the usual token gesture of 50 microvolts
for S9 and who cares about the rest.

The Hilberling seems to have addressed some of these
issues, however the Hilberling Transceiver seems  to
be progressing very slowly into the real world. At the
moment the Hilberling  seems pie in the sky.

Maybe one day we can wake up and somebody will have
considered all aspects of transceiver design in a
balanced way. Its a nice dream.

Craig
VK3HE