Re: [TenTec] Elecraft K3 vs Orion?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Elecraft K3 vs Orion?
From: K4IA@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 13:23:53 EDT

In a message dated 5/1/2007 12:50:43 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
nq5t@tx.rr.com writes:

Makes me  wonder whether the 7800 will really end
up being the 20-year-radio it was  hyped to be, or if the 7800II isn't that
far away,  too.

I noticed in the latest QST, Icom has an add with a spotlight and curtain
saying something like "watch for our newest - coming soon."  ProIV / 7800  Pro
???

I have preordered the K3.  From what I see, it looks like an Orion  killer,
an FT2000 killer, and a 756ProXXX killer.  It has everything (short  of USB or
remote support both of which I must believe are coming.)   There is even
provision for a real bandscope.

Think of it -- the radio is modular and software upgradeable.   That means
you can swap out boards as well as upgrade the software to keep the  thing
cutting edge for a long long time.  I assume the Elecraft software  will work.
If
so, how is it that Elecraft, not particularly known for  software development
can produce the software that has eluded the Orion for 4  years now?

Interesting times indeed.  Elecraft has really upset the apple cart.

k4ia
Craig  "Buck"
Fredericksburg, Virginia USA