Re: [TenTec] Frozen display on Omni V.9

To: Rick Denney <rick@rickdenney.com>,Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Frozen display on Omni V.9
From: Bob Towers <mm0rkt@beeb.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 15:16:57 +0100
Rick Denney wrote:
> Mike K9MI writes...
>
>> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always thought of the V.9 and V.92 as
>> firmware, not software. And it sounds like the display problem is hardware.
>
> Isn't firmware just software that's stored in a write-once, read-only
> memory instead of in rewriteable random-access memory? I haven't
> looked at the chip specs for the Omni V, but it seemed to me just a
> programmable, read-only memory (PROM) that has its software stored via
> a PROM-burner connected to a computer. New machines would use flash
> RAM so it could be updated more easily. But it's still programming
> rather than components executing the design.
>
> Rick, KR9D

Thanks, Rick, for your comments.

> The fact that it has been a gradual increase in the problem points
to a component failure rather than a working loose of one of the
interconnects. I'll take the lid off and unplug/plug all the connectors
I can see and maybe this will do the trick.

Otherwise it's a new optical encoder, I reckon. Incidentally, is there
any way of testing whether the encoder is working OK?

73

Bob
MM0RKT