Re: [TenTec] O II and headphones?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] O II and headphones?
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 22:03:34 -0600
On Tue, 2007-09-04 at 21:36 -0600, Richard Williams wrote:
> Tom,
>
> Yep,  I have the same problem.   I didn't notice the problem with my older
> Heil headset with the switchable elements; but it didn't have the noise
> canceling feature.
>
> Maybe it is something Ten-Tec needs to look into!
>
> Dick  K8ZTT

OK its solvable. What it means is that the headphone output has a
resistor to limit the power applied to the headphones and the headphones
are presumed to need a great deal less power than the speaker or the
noise canceling headphones. You can use an outboard amplifier with the
noise canceling headphones or identify that resistor and shunt it with
something having lower resistance to give the headphones more audio
power. It could be that resistor is wired on the headphone jack, but its
more likely on the audio output board. I don't think its a matter of a
coefficient in the DSP because most solid state audio amplifiers have a
very low output impedance so different loads shouldn't vary the audio
voltage much and the low impedance loads will naturally take more
power.
--
73, Jerry, K0CQ,