Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec 238A settings?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec 238A settings?
From: "Rob Atkinson" <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 11:53:59 -0500
I recommend that you don't use the ten tec tuner (which I do use for
unbalanced feedlines, and it is very good for that--I am a big L network
fan) and instead tune the 600 ohm parallel line directly with a balanced
tuner such as the one made by Palstar.  It uses a pair of synchronized
roller inductors and a single variable cap--each inductor is in series with
a side of the balanced line and the cap is between them and can be
switched between the high Z and low Z sides.  Think of it as a pair of L
networks in parallel sharing the capacitor.   The "balun" can be a 1:1 bead
or coax choke on the low Z side where the impedence is always nearly 50
ohms.  I use this arrangement and it works great.   Of course, you have to
work out a way to bring in the balanced line to the tuner but there are many
creative ways of doing this.   We have almost exactly the same antennas for
I use a loop of roughly the same length, height and is somewhat a trapezoid
shape, fed in the middle of one long side.

73

rob / k5uj