Re: [TenTec] RF Gain and AGC Question

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RF Gain and AGC Question
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 20:28:09 -0600
I love these kind of questions.

AVC and AGC are generally used today "generically" although maybe not
technically correct.  However they are far from the same.

The AGC is "automatic gain control" which serves to control or adjust the
internal gain of the RF stages and IF stages.  This is basically what is
seen as action on the S meter.  Now, AVC is "automatic volume control" an in
the original form was indeed a method where the audio volume was
automatically controlled.  Today, we might equate this to limiting or
compression of the audio signal.

In current practice, AGC is incorporated in most all receivers while AVC is
found in few if any.

73
Bob, K4TAX