Re: [TenTec] Old vs New = crunch time

To: tentec@contesting.com, Roger Rippy <svtincup@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Old vs New = crunch time
From: John Farler <k4avx1@windstream.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 16:27:17 -0500
Roger,
Just my opinions from operating many of these rigs, plus what I've read here
and other places -
I believe with older rigs in stepping up from the 540 (I have a 540), you
wouldn't go wrong with either a Corsair in excellent condition (Not certain of
the difference between the Corsair I and   II), or a Omni VI+ in good
condition.  I believe the Corsair's receiver went up a step or two from
previous models, and the VI+ a step or two above it.  I don't have a Corsair,
but do have an Omni V and VI+, and there is a significant difference, although
the V is a good rig, too.  I find the noise reduction in the VI+ to work fairly
well.

If you want to keep cost down the Corsair or Omni V would be the way to go.  If
you can find a good deal (under$1200) on the VI+, you might want to try it.
All seem to hold value to Ten-Tec users.

If you want DSP based equipment, the Jupiter, Orion or Omni VII will work well.
IMHO, only the Orion has a superior RX to the Omni VI+.  I have used the
Jupiter and Omni VII, but not the Orion, which I'd say is really specialized
for contesters and DX'ers, very demanding uses.
If you like CW, I have noticed a few Jupiters on the air that have a peculiarly
rough note - not tremendously bad, but not the great note Ten-Tec is famous
for.  Don't know if it has been corrected or not.

The Omni VII does have lots of features and is easy to use, but, as has been
discussed the last few days here, may not have a better basic RX than the Omni
VI+.  I figure this is a matter of opinion and what one is used to using.

For great receiver value, you might also consider the K-3....One thing about
all of these listed is that they are not greatly complicated with multiple
levels of menu's, etc.  Good luck...

73, John, K4AVX
k4avx1@windstream.net

Message: 14