Re: [TenTec] Old vs New = crunch time

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Old vs New = crunch time
From: "Malcolm McLeman" <malcolm.mcleman@free.fr>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 17:58:25 +0100
Roger,
Personally I think the Corsair2 must be well below your $600 dollar budget.
I've owned both the C1 and C2. The C1 I got fairly cheap as the final
transistors were shot, which I repaired.
As it belonged to a friend I actually heard this rig DX.
It was and  in my humble opinion still is one of the best on the air CW sigs
ever, excellent at punching holes through pile-ups running only 100w.
Receiver sensitivity and superb QSK were well ahead of any of it's oriental
contemporaries. .
I do however have some reservations on the Corsair.
It is not rock solid on frequency readout and has a considerable drift
problem before final warm up.
It has the worst sidetone I've ever heard on any rig, very unpleasant to
listen to especially over a long period contesting.
Because of its age, there can be a dry grease problem on the main tuning
mechanism resulting in erratic tuning.
This has plagued my C2 since purchase even though I've managed to
temporarily fix it over the years.
As a mainly cw op, the sidetone has been a big disappointment and this "TT
ha'penny worth of tar" could've put me off buying had I been given a
hands-on opportunity
pre-purchase.
I'm glad I didn't because both rigs have done me proud over the years
regardless of their shortcomings and I still remain very much a TT
afficionado.
73

Malcolm/F5VBU