Re: [TenTec] antenna analyzer reading?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] antenna analyzer reading?
From: John Chance-Read <johnchanceread@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 15:00:17 +0000 (GMT)
Denton's query and your answer was timely helpful to me - but it's a little
above my head.
1.  I have a 80m G5RV with all required dimension met (10 metre mast with ends
at 5 metres) and  just fits my plot.  Using my MFJ 270 analyzer I find most
bands are covered but not at 1:1.
It uses a 28 feet of 70 ohm ladder line and about 50 feet of 50 coax to the
shack.
2.  I also wanted 160m so I simply extended the dipole, zigzagged back down the
garden towards the mast - of course it does not match at 80m but
surprisingly other bands were OK (if not better) but not 20m.
3.  I happend to have a pair of 80m traps. So as to bring back 80m on the same
system I fitted the traps at end of 80 dipole section. Unexpected but
advantageous, I found my 160m had to be shortened by about 2-3 metres to get
resonance.
4.  I have an Auto ATU fitted in my Orion but disable so that I could make SWR
measurements.  with Orion and the MFJ270. (The ATU can match all but 10m).
5.  I now find I have the following SWR indications in the shack (at the end of
the co-ax)
 160m     - better than 3 : 1 between 1.8MHz and 1.9MHz with a null of 1.5 : 1
 80m       - resonant at about 3.4MHz but better than 3 : 1 up to 3.7 MHZ
 40m       - better than 2:1 across band and 1 :1 above 7.2 MHz
 30m       - not resonant
 20m       - high vswr
 17m      - better than 2 : 1 across band
 15m      - better than 2 : 1 across band
 12m      - better than 4 : 1 across band
 10m      - better than 3 : 1 across band
6.  All of the above except 30 metres can be matched to 1 : 1 with the aid of
the Orion ATU
7.  A knowledgeable friend of mine tells me that the SWR becomes meaningless
with the confusion of techniques that I have employed and that  I should throw
away the traps and the Analyzer and just put up a single long wire antennae
with any length open wire to the shack and depend on the ATU.

My question : - Is it better to try and achieve the lowest SWR (peferable at
the end of the 70 ohm ladder line as this becomes part of the antenna) and then
rely on the ATU (as I do) or is my friend correct to go the easy way.

John - G4BOU