Re: [TenTec] help in soldering pl259 outside

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] help in soldering pl259 outside
From: "Dave Edwards" <kd2e@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 20:30:47 -0400
When my Weller station with the digital readout (WTCP? or something like
that) crapped out, I also got
the Hako 936.  I love it!   But its just so wrong for PL259's....as wrong as
the Weller gun would be for an Elecraft project.
With a fat clean tinned tip, a silverplated connector, a vise etc...you can
probably get the job done....but as the original post mentioned...out in the
back yard, with some wind????   No Chance!!
The big Weller gun is the best choice.....Old timers used to swear by an
American Beauty iron. I have one brand new in the box.....somewhere!
Haven't seen it in a few years, but I will admit...it would probably be the
second best choice. I never tried it myself, but its pretty common knowledge
that it is THE tool for PL259's.  I just use my big Weller...cuz it works.
Check out the American Beauty here....
http://www.americanbeautytools.com/site/