Re: [TenTec] help in soldering pl259 outside

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] help in soldering pl259 outside
From: Stuart Rohre <rohre@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 21:19:37 -0400
Another trick for soldering PL 259s with a 100 watt solder gun, is to
remove  the copper tip.  Just push the two tip holders firmly against
the back tube of the connector, to heat it for soldering the shield thru
the access holes.  You have to be quick, as the iron will overheat, but
you will feel it getting uncomfortably warm.  It may take a couple of
applications of the tubes to the shell to get enough of the holes filled
with solder.  You don't have to have solder in the whole circumference
of braid, as that attempt would surely overheat the center conductor
insualtion and cause the spacing to change.

I still would not solder out of doors if you can pre plan your antenna
work, and if I had to solder one outdoors, I would use a protective box
to break the wind.  You might have to slot the sides of the box to hold
the coax for you, but breaking the wind really helps hold the heat where
you need it.

-Stuart Rohre
K5KVH