Re: [TenTec] headsets

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] headsets
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 15:26:47 -0400

On 5/26/2010 8:47 AM, Michael Goins wrote:
> Okay now I am properly confused.
>
> I have a Jupiter here and I operate at absolute minimum power all the
> time, mostly chasing DX. I will be adding a 715 RF Speech Processor
> and it looks like the Yamaha CM500 (electret) or the Koss SB40
> (dynamic) would work fine with the setup,

  though the Yamaha headset
> apparently needs a 1/10W 5.6K resistor from +VDC to the mic output
> lead while the Koss would not.

                Right.   Computer-type electret condenser mics need
                something like 2.5 - 5 volts "bias voltage"  (not to be
                confused with "phantom voltage..."  to run, and they run
                "hotter"  (i.e., they usually have stronger electrical output
                compared to a dynamic mic element).

                As I mentioned yesterday, some also add in
                a capacitor into the mix.   The Warren-Gregoire guy does,
                as do the two guys who sell adapters for them on eBay.
                I prefer dealing with the guy who calls himself  "AudioComm"
                to the other guy (W2ENY) on eBay because the AudioComm
                guy way more flexible and willing to customize the end
                product, and generally charges less, also.    Both, however,
                make a good product.

                I was surprised when Jim B said the capacitor is not needed,
                but I have a deep respect for his expertise in these matters
                and am confident his wiring instructions are quite right.  It is
                just that so many other outfits use the capacitor. . ..

                Hmmmm...  gotta research this.....  ZZZzzzzzz.....

> Not sure whether to go straight TenTec with the 777 or try the
> Yamaha/Koss, especially since I plan to use the 715.

                Any of these should work fine, provided you adjust the
                hardware input level under the rig if you use a hot
                electret condenser type mic element.   No big deal,
                as Jim says, but i don't like messing with it, myself,
                as I do not think it was not designed to be changed
                all too often, and I worry if I do, then it will break on
                me.    I have THAT kind of luck.

It has a 4-pin on
> it so I can use the Regal if I want but it also has a phono jack so
> neither would need rewiring. Would really like to determine what would
> work best here as good audio is so critical to low power ssb
> operation. It has not been uncommon in the past for me to work someone
> with little to nothing actually showing on their meter.

                They will all work swell.   Which I recognize does
                not help you much ...  I CAN SAY the TT 777 is made a
                bit better, and has a bit more noise isolation than
                the other models you are considering.  The Model 777
                has a VERY robust and strong mic boom that WILL stay
                in place all day and should not bend all around as you
                put the set on and take it off during the day.  Deeper
                ear pads help with sound isolation,  and are more comfortable.
                But ... for a higher cost.

                If you want mine at a bit of a discount, email me off list....
                I just ordered a new model from AudioTechnica... I am
                a headphone junkie.

                Of course, the BEST PLAN is for you to buy the TT model
                and support the company...    ;-)

Just MY take. . . .