Re: [TenTec] OT Kind of. ?? about wide band antennas

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT Kind of. ?? about wide band antennas
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 21:41:08 +0000
Paul,

When you say "bandwidth" I presume you mean "VSWR bandwidth".

The Resistive component of the feedpoint impedance of a dipole varies
relatively slowly with frequency either side of resonance, but the
Reactive component varies much more quickly; so it's the rate of change
of the Reactive component which largely determines the VSWR bandwidth.
The rate of change of the Reactive component is closely linked to the
size of the conductor - the "fatter" the conductor, the slower the rate
of change of Reactance, and the wider the bandwidth.

Hope that helps.

Steve G3TXQ