Re: [TenTec] Orion's break in

To: <floyd@k8ac.net>, "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion's break in
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 08:36:50 -0800
I have experienced the same problem on my Orion II, and it's definitely the
T/R relay.  I got a new one from TT and installed it a fraction of an inch
above the circuit board and wrapped it in silicone sealing material and it
quieted down, but later started to exhibit some 'squirrelly' problems during
contests where it appeared to stick for second or so when going from
transmit to receive.  I went back to the old relay, but I think the problem
is that some of the relays TT used made noise and some didn't.  The problem
I had during contests may have been due to the relay heating up because the
silicone material kept the heat in.

             Ron Castro
                  N6IE
         www.N6IE.com