Re: [TenTec] Jupiter Autotuner upgrade?

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Jupiter Autotuner upgrade?
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 04:01:51 +0100
You do not get the coax out of the equation unless you manage to get the
impedance to exactly 50 Ohms, non-reactive.
All of these auto tuners come close but almost never get it to 1:1 non
reactive.
That's because they use switched fixed-value components, rather than
variable components.

There is a tuner built by Plastar which can do this.
It uses a real variable capacitor and variable inductor rather than switched
fixed values, but it is not made for remote use, not waterproof, and costs
WAY too much money to place out in the yard.

There are a couple of Auto Tuners here in Europe that can do this too, and
they are weather-proof and built for remote use, but one costs about $2400,
the other $4000+.

The coax will normally always be in the equation to some extent.
Luckily if you get the match fairly close to 1:1, it will be negligible.

73
Rick, DJ0IP