Re: [TenTec] Top receivers

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Top receivers
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 15:22:40 +0200
Joel, thanks for pointing out that it was from Bob... (says so right at the
bottom, doesn't it).
I just assumed it was from Mark.
Sometimes it's a big advantage when you can read! (hi)

Bob has brought up a good point.
Most modern receivers have gotten so good that there really aren't many bad
ones on the market anymore, at least not in the mid-range and high end rigs.
Until we can get the manufacturers to do something about the cruddy signal
their transmitters are producing, it makes no sense to focus on the
receivers anymore.

It's kind of pathetic that today there are only 2 transceivers on the market
whose 3rd order (and higher) IMD is as good as the old KWM-2, 40 years ago.
Most are vastly worse and that is a major contributor to the impression we
get that the bands are so full. It the transmitters were all as clean as the
40 year old KWM-2, we would have more space on the bands.

And, the two rigs that are clean are 200w versions which are only clean when
you run them at 75w in Class A mode!
If you run them at their normal power levels, they are as bad or worse than
all the rest.

WE ALL NEED TO WAKE UP AND REALIZE THIS AND START DEMANDING THAT THE
MANUFACTURERS CLEAN UP THEIR (TRANSMITTING) ACT!

For many years, I didn't even look much at a rig's transmitter specs.  I
just assumed 100w is 100w and they're all about the same.
THEY ARE NOT.
Over the years we became very critical of our receivers and with the help of
ARRL tests and Sherwood tests, we forced the manufacturers to improve their
receivers.

Now let's fix the transmitters!

73
Rick, DJ0IP