Re: [TenTec] Top receivers

To: <floyd@k8ac.net>, "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Top receivers
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 18:28:24 -0500
Floyd, I agree with you and with many of the other writers.  The receiver
performance has been pushed ahead and largely demanded by "users" in a
competitive market while the transmitter performance is largely controlled
by outdated Government regulations.

Yes, it is time to clean up the bands and push for cleaner transmitters and
power amps.  However, how does one control the outdated transmitters in use
today?  Put a time limit on them saying they must meet the current specs or
be trashed by a certain date?  They have done that for other applications
and equipment such as the switch from analog TV to digital TV.  That was
expensive for everyone, specially the broadcasters.  But look how it forced
the price of digital TV's down.  The price dropped some 75% in just 2 years.
Imagine a top of the line ham transceiver for under $2K.  Of course one has
to look at things differently, i.e. a business vs. a hobby.  Then there are
countries which mandate when a vehicle gets X number of years old they are
crushed thus can no longer be used.  That was done to largely effect a
reduction in air pollution and it worked.  Maybe that would work for ham
radio.

I'm all up for cleaner bands and cleaner signals.  I believe today we have
to forgo the idea of 12 volt radios to attain that desired result.
Technically there is no problem with that concern either.  As one wrote,
there's the 200 watt class radio that only outputs 75 watts when running in
class A mode.  Are we willing to accept that fact or are we a culture that
is too number driven?

I don't like Government intervention any more than anyone else, but some
effort by manufactures, pushed by Government regulations and us buyers that
pay our hard earned money for these boxes need to demand better
transmitters.  That's "better" in terms of cleaner, lower noise, and lower
IMD products and operators that  operate them correctly.  It is a very large
topic and will need to be addressed on an international basis.

73
Bob, K4TAX