Re: [TenTec] Transmitter specs (was Top receivers)

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Transmitter specs (was Top receivers)
From: "chacuff" <chacuff@cableone.net>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 07:53:17 -0500
Sorry changed the subject line since the subject has changed...

This comes at a time when I am trying to make sense of some problems with my
station.  I'm a recent Ten-Tec convert having bought a used Orion II and
Centurion amp.  Was using a Yaesu FT-1000MP MKV and a modified Clipperton L
prior.  Since putting the Ten-Tec gear online my wife is complaining that I
am coming through many different things in the house (shack is in a separate
building) that I never had problems with before.  TV audio in two rooms
mainly.  I get complaints from her even if I am only running the rig at 100W
so I don't believe the amp is a contributor other than making the problem
stronger.

When using the amp I drive it with 50 watts out of the rig and tune to 1KW
peak out using CW dits as recommended by Ten-Tec.  Amps not pushed hard and
neither is the rig.

My grounding system is very robust...near commercial/cellular spec for
lightning protection and all equipment is bonded to it.  Really nothing has
changed in my station except the transceiver and amp.  Antennas are resonant
on 10 thru 20 and 40.  (Force 12)

I plan to put my spectrum analyzer on the air next chance I get and see just
what is going out.  I didn't expect this and am concerned about what the
neighbors might be experiencing but haven't come knocking on my door as of
yet.

Old rig was a 200W version of the MKV run at about 125 watts into the amp
that was tuned up tight to about 900W out.  I was pushing it much harder.  I
never ran the rig in Class A due to the heat and stress it created on the
finals.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

I've had no on air complaints.

Thanks

Cecil
K5DL