Re: [TenTec] Top receivers

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Top receivers
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 13:17:45 +0200
Bob, you hit it.  We need to stop making transmitters with 12v transistors.
48v MOSFETs should be mandatory.  We do need laws to mandate this.

The problem as I see it is with the mobile rigs.
Maybe we could allow rigs designed specifically for mobile use to still use
12v transistors, but have a conspicuous message on the box and a warning
label on the rig, "NOT PERMITTED TO BE USED WITH A LINEAR AMPLIFIER".

Surely 100w on a mobile whip can't do too much damage!

YAESU definitely needs to clean up its act.
The bands are flooded with FT-1000s which produce horrendous key clicks.
Even though W8JI came up with a $2 fix for the problem just months after its
initial announcement, it took Yaesu nearly 6 years to finally incorporate
that fix into their new units.

As Floyd pointed out, they still don't know how to build a rig that keys
cleanly - regardless of price. Shame shame!

If we start now, maybe in 5 years we could get some legislation, and maybe
in 15 years the bands will finally be cleaner.
I don't expect to see it in my lifetime!

73
Rick