Re: [TenTec] RFI Issues

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RFI Issues
From: Stuart Rohre <rohre@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 15:13:19 -0500
Jim I respectfully disagree, as I have seen examples of radiating
"ground" wires causing RFI.  These were typically way too long, from an
upper story station location.  Not only ham locations, but in 47 years
of industrial RFI/ EMC work, too long a shield, or too long an earth
return has been seen to either radiate or pick up RF easily.  One case
was long transducer shield returns broadside to the near field of an AM
station close by the university campus.  The reception on the shields
was conducted to the monitoring equipment where it created noise on the
transducer signals.

I agree with bonding the various house grounds; but even with that, I
would not rely upon a 20 foot run to earth from a shack to not be hot
with RF, given the inquirer was using an antenna low to the roof just
above his shack.

Stuart Rohre
K5KVH