Re: [TenTec] RFI Issues and other station high voltage precautions

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RFI Issues and other station high voltage precautions
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 07:42:51 -0500
Thanks Stuart.

I choose to build my own using the 4" square utility boxes fitted with good
quality 20A receptacles, finally ending up with a piece of #12 SJ cable and
cap to plug-in.  Many of the pre-made "plug strips" rely on the pressure
contact method, specially for the 3rd pin ground terminal, which I find as
not satisfactory.

>From the hardware stores, one can obtain duplex boxes that can be ganged
together such that one ends up with several duplex receptacles as a single
unit.  Just be sure to find the largest duplex cover plate before starting
the project.

Speaking of receptacles, I do not use the most convenient means of
connection, meaning the "strip the wire and push it in the hole" method.  I
always strip the wire, turn a hook on the end and around the screw it goes.
White wire on white screw, green wire on green screw and black wire on the
brass colored screw.  If one so chooses, they can get a duplex unit that
contains a switch and a single receptacle such that the unit can be used to
switch the entire group on and off.

Using this system allows all of the equipment for the station to share the
same neutral and same 3rd pin ground connection.  In general, ground loops
are eliminated, and a high degree of station safety is attained, all while
it becomes very convenient to disconnect the entire station and all
accessories when one is not using the station.

As a note, our home was built in 1980 and the outlets and switches used the
method of stripping the wire and pushing it in the hole in the back.  Over
the past few years I've discovered these have become intermittent and have,
in many cases, shown some degree of heating.  Basically I've replaced every
duplex outlet and switch and in doing so, I did not use the strip and push
the wire in the hole method of connection.  Although the method originally
used was "legal" per the NEC and a time saver for the electrician, I find
that it isn't good enough over time to satisfy me.

Another application available with the "roll your own" outlet strip is to
incorporate a LINE NOISE FILTER such as a device made by CORCOM.  These
provide a high level of noise filtering for the AC line.  Units can be
purchased that fit into a duplex box or stand alone configuration.
Incorporate one of these in the power strip to reduce any noise coming from
the power line.  There's various CORCOM filters having different specs.
Choose one to fit your needs, physical size, and power handling rating, to
clean up the AC power to your station.

Ham radio is really a great hobby, have fun, be creative BUT at all times BE
SAFE!

73
Bob, K4TAX