Re: [TenTec] RFI Issues

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RFI Issues
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 21:11:58 -0500
For vertical antennas, not vertical dipoles, ground radials at 1/4
wavelength and number about 32 is most adequate.  More than this in terms of
length or quantity has shown little to no signal improvement in the AM
broadcast world.  Even alternating between 1/4 wavelength and 1/2 wavelength
radials makes little to no difference.  It is however a nice advantage to
put a ground screen or mat of suitable size depending on frequency at the
base of the vertical as this area has the highest ground current flow.
Ground radials should be attached to the ground ring around this mat.

As to radial spacing, equally spaced is best assuming space and structure
permit such. It makes for a nice omni directional pattern.  Otherwise, put
radials in the ground what and where you can.  One can't get too many
although there is a point of diminishing return for the work and investment.
Typically 8 to 12 radials 1/4 wave will be great for most ham applications.

You are correct on the vertical 1/2 wave dipole, assuming you can get the
feed line perpendicular to the antenna at the feed point elevation and it
runs at least 1/4 wavelength horizontally away.  Try that on 160M!

73
Bob, K4TAX