Re: [TenTec] RFI Issues and other station high voltage precautions

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RFI Issues and other station high voltage precautions
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 00:21:14 -0400

On 5/17/2012 10:24 PM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX wrote:
> Stuart et al
>
> I fully agree and only add one suggestion.  When not using the station,
> disconnect all antennas and unplug the station.

                Yes... all that and ...

                Connect all loose antenna feed lines to a ground buss
                bonded to the rest of the station grounding system.
                Energy can arc from the ends of the cables to people
                or equipment in the shack.

                I have a friend who is an avid SWL, and upon hearing
                thunder, disconnected his antenna cable from his
                receiver, and set it on the desk for a  moment.  When
                lightning struck very close outside his window, he saw
                a blue arc      from the end of the cable across the desk,
                leaving a nice burn mark on the desk top.

                He sent me a photo of the desk top...  it was very
                convincing.