Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec Marketing (?) + Ten-Tec "FIRSTS"

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec Marketing (?) + Ten-Tec "FIRSTS"
From: "Lee WA3FIY" <wa3fiy@radioadv.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2012 14:52:40 -0400
No fire suit needed James!   :-)

I think it is fair to say the RX320 is both.

It is of course "Controlled" by software.  N4PY, Ten-Tec etc.  But it is also
"defined " by
software.  That is to say that once the N4PY software tells the radio to
receive let's say USB
with 2.4 Khz bandwidth, the software in the radio runs various routines that
operate logically
and mathematically on digital data which represents the RF signal (and many
others) you are
listening to.  Those routines strip away the undesired signals and process the
desired signal
as needed to get useful output.  Once the internal software has done it's
thing, the digital data
is converted to analog and presented to the loudspeaker.  The internal software
"Defines"
what sort of radio we have.  Modes, filters and so on.  A change in program
code re-"defines"
our radio.  A good example of that is the Pegasus.  When introduced it had no
noise blanker
or AM transmit.  New software installed both those features (software defined)
shortly
thereafter.

I greatly oversimplified the description of what happens from antenna to
loudspeaker, but this
is why I think the the RX320 is both software controlled and software defined.

73,

-Lee-

WA3FIY

BTW...as I write this I am monitoring 40 CW and 20 PSK with my
Pegasus/N4PY/RX320
combo.  Really slick set-up.   :-)