Re: [TenTec] My First Ten-Tec

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] My First Ten-Tec
From: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <geoffreymendelson@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2012 10:59:25 +0300
On 7/4/12 10:49 AM, Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP wrote:
> You know Steve, the Triton IV was one fantastic radio.
> It had a really hot receiver.  I think that was one of the best kept secrets
> of that era.
> An even bigger, better kept secret is that the Argonaut 515 had the Triton
> IV receiver in it.
> It was really hot for a QRP radio.

The 509 is pretty good too. If you look for mods for it, you can find
both a mod for improving sensitivity (replacing front end dual gate
MOSFET with a 3n211 or the RCA equivalent) and a mod for reducing it
(claimed to be too sensitive on 40m). :-)

You can also replace the 4 crystal filter with an 8 crystal one
scrounged from a dead Trition.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM/KBUH7245/KBUW5379