Re: [TenTec] My First Ten-Tec

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] My First Ten-Tec
From: "Lee WA3FIY" <wa3fiy@radioadv.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2012 10:04:47 -0400
My first Ten-Tec was a Corsair II purchased new.  Prior to the Corsair I had an
Icom 701 with
which I was not at all happy.  It had intermittent failure in the VFO from
early on.  Sent back to
Icom for repair twice.  No luck.  Icom's answer was to buy a new rig......I
did.....the Corsair II.
I thought at the time it was a BIG step backward.  Turned out to be one of the
best purchases
I ever made!

When I turned the Corsair on for the first time and did some preliminary
testing and set-up I
thought for sure the rig was broken.  When I keyed it I heard CW sidetone ok
but with the key
up I instantly heard band noise and nothing else.  I got the impression it was
not going into
transmit mode.  It was operating fine.  Welcome to Ten Tec QSK!  Took me a year
or so to
become accustomed to QSK but now cannot imagine operating any other way.

Still have that radio and a few other TT's as well.  My daily driver is a
Pegasus/N4PY/RX320
combo though which is nearly perfect for my present operating style but I still
use the Corsair
from time to time.  In fact, it is on line as I type this.

73,

-Lee-

WA3FIY