Re: [TenTec] station power supplies

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] station power supplies
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 18:24:58 -0400
Amen. Wall warts consume a lot loads of power all day even when nothing is running on them. Even my TS-590 consumes power when turned off because it monitors the network and other inputs for action (it can be awakened by USB or LAN activity, for example.) The only way to really kill it is to turn off the DC power supply.

I put as many wall warts on switchable power strips as possible, especially those dedicated to all my battery chargers, and turn the strips off when not charging batteries. That amounts to nearly 20 power supplies, given my various hobbies.

And I use LEDs in the shack for a) lower power consumption, b) less heat, c) less electricity cost, and d) less RFI.

Just MY take.