Re: [TenTec] station power supplies

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] station power supplies
From: wade staggs <tvman1954@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 12:30:35 -0500
*I was taught that a Transformer with No Load on the Secondary Winding,
uses Only what is known as Magnetizing Current. In all of the Books from my
learning, this Magnetizing Current is Very Small. The Only Current Draw
from a Linear Power Supply when Not in use, should be the Magnetizing
Current and also the Small amount needed to keep the Capacitors Charged.
Switching Power Supplies Are More Efficient because they do not cause as
much Heat. The Series Pass Transistors in a Linear Supply, DO Generate Heat
..... When Current is being drawn. Therefore, they are Not as efficient as
Switching Supplies. I have Never heard a Birdie in the Receiver with my
Astron 35 Amp Supply. Being the owner of several Switchers, I choose to
keep the Astron Linear PSU Online and also, Charging Emergency Back Up
Batteries. *
*Roy, you are correct about Linear Supplies to the point that they use VERY
LITTLE Power when just idling................... Same argument with CFL Vs
Standard Light Bulb. The Standard Light Bulb will help heat the room you
are in during winter months. During the Summer, CFL lighting will take a
Big Load off of your Air Conditioner because they generate much less heat
while in use. But, I have one CFL Lamp that causes pure Havoc with the
small AM Radio that Miss Brenda, uses in the kitchen......... Darned if you
do and Darned if you don't.... We listen to a Very Good Christian Station
on AM during the day.*
*
 73 de Wade/KJ4WS*