Re: [TenTec] COMMUNICATIONS SPEAKERS Article

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] COMMUNICATIONS SPEAKERS Article
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 14:03:36 -0800
On 2/27/2013 10:10 AM, Richards wrote:

  There is no need to get crude or angry over this.

Who's crude or angry? The late Paul Klipsch, a very bright guy and Fellow of the Audio Engineering Society, was known for standing up near the back of the hall at certain technical presentations where he felt it appropriate, and opening his outer shirt to reveal a Tee shirt emblazoned with the word :BULLSHIT in large letters. He was much appreciated for his comments.

What is needed for good speech quality is nothing more or
less than a loudspeaker with flat response AND uniform coverage in the
speech range.

    Funny... that is just what the author was
    saying.    And he suggested a center channel
    speaker as exactly that sort of thing.

So is ANY GOOD loudspeaker.

    Otherwise, you have been outvoted by an entire
    industry - which sells center channel speakers
    expressly on the premise they enhance speech
    and dialog intelligibility.  And outvoted by legions
    of movie fans who buy them for that very reason.

Not at all. When film sound is mixed, ALL dialogue is placed in the center, while music and effects are mixed to left, right, surrounds, and the sub-woofer. Cinema sound has been done this way for much of the last half of the 20th century, and the various forms of distribution and encoding for home playback are based on this.

The function of a center channel loudspeaker is to provide a hard center channel image, AND to maximize speech intelligibility. The center channel maximizes intelligibility NOT because of the type of loudspeaker used, but because it is a SINGLE loudspeaker. Indeed, all three front channel loudspeakers should have flat response with good dispersion (that is, uniform coverage over the listening area)...

    Exactly what WE are saying !   Apparently you
    agree with us, after all.   You have just described
    what we mean by a  "speaker tailored for speech."

I've done far more than that. I've observed that the requirements of good speech intelligibility are the same as for good music reproduction.

Now, it so happens that Optimus is the "house brand" that Rat Shack used
in the 70s and 80s. They didn't make anything themselves,

        Nobody does.... it all comes from some
        outfit in China.   Besides that is hardly
        relevant or probative of any point under
        discussion here.

While that is probably true for most vendors TODAY, it has not always been thus.
You have missed the point entirely.

        We are only saying that a small, flat sounding
        speaker that does not have a lot of bass or treble
        is one that is "tailored for speech"  --

A good loudspeaker reproduces what is fed to it. This may come as a shock to you, but the frequency response numbers typically quoted in catalogs for ham and consumer products are meaningless because they include no anplitude tolerances on the response, nor do they provide any description of angular coverage, nor distortion, nor efficiency.

Modern loudspeakers designed for home use rarely have much useful output below 100 Hz, but most have response to 10 kHz or more. 100 Hz is more than enough for speech, and good response to 10 kHz benefits speech intelligibility if the content is there. When a loudspeaker is used with a ham rig, the response is limited by (and for the most part, DICTATED by) the response of the transmitter, including the mic, the transmit filter, the receive filter, and the output stage. Unless something is broken in that system, there's rarely much content outside the range of 100 Hz to 3 kHz.
.
        FACT -- not all speakers are well "suited for
        speech"  intelligibility -- which is why you
        specified "small" as a design criterion.

I added "small" to the description only because it needs to fit in a ham shack without burning a lot of space.

        FACT -- there are loads of flat response speakers
        that are not well suited for speech applications.
        Older, JBL studio monitor speakers with 15 inch
        woofers just do not sound as clear as, for example,
        the  5 inch Avantone MixCube speaker - or similar
        size center channel speakers.

That's because some of those older JBL studio monitors have design problems!

        By specifying "decent small, accurate loudspeaker
        that sounds the same over a fairly wide angle"
        YOU HAVE IDENTIFIED EXACTLY WHAT IS
        RIGHT ABOUT THE CENTER CHANNEL SPEAKER
        AND WHAT MAKES IT WELL SUITED FOR VOICE
        APPLICATIONS.

No, I've described a perfectly ordinary ideal loudspeaker. What you're missing is that the same characteristics that make a loudspeaker good for music also make it good for speech.

        FACT -- not everybody agrees what sounds
        good.   Not all speakers with a flat
        response will suffice or please everyone.

More technical parameters are needed (and used) to describe loudspeakers than you (and most of the high futility community) are aware of. A study of the work of the late Richard Heyser is highly instructive.

How "flat" response is measured matters a lot. Is it measured ONLY on-axis, or is it measured at multiple points over a wide angle, or is it integrated over a full 360 degree sphere? What is the TIME response? If there are multiple drivers, what is the alignment between them? What is the crossover, and what are its characteristics? These are some common problems with loudspeakers, including some JBL studio monitors. Perhaps the ones you didn't like (and that I probably don't like either). BTW -- I'm a member of two AES Standards Committee Working Groups on Loudspeakers. These working groups include most of engineers who design professional loudspeakers, and many other leading engineers who APPLY those loudspeakers.

FWIW -- I suspect you would consider me a presumptuous fool if I argued with an attorney about the law.

73, Jim K9YC