Re: [TenTec] OT: Half inch Andrews Heliax LDF4-50A vs LMR-400

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>, GARY HUBER <glhuber@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Half inch Andrews Heliax LDF4-50A vs LMR-400
From: Phil Sussman <psussman@pactor.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 13:16:34 -0400
Greetings,

From my experience, the use of Hardline on HF does not affect loss
very much. I've seen more problems with poor connector attachment
or lightning pinholes that allow water to seep in.

No matter the type of connector or type of hardline, the losses are
almost insignificant.

Good Luck,

73 de Phil - N8PS

-------

Quoting GARY HUBER <glhuber@msn.com>:

As I consider the materials required to replace my 30 year old tower, rotor, antenna and cables, I have several like new runs on LDF4-50A terminated with N-male which could run from my ground window (UHF female) to the top of my 53 foot tower (60 feet max LDF4-50A cable run) where a flexible low-loss 10 foot jumper would terminate on a new BN-4000 and new TH-7 tribander. This configuration would require the 60 feet max LDF4-50A cable run, two half inch N female to UHF male adapters, one UHF double female and 10 feet of high quality RG8 cable as the jumper to the BN-4000.

The alternative which I'm leaning towards as it seems less likely to have connector/adapter loss and other potential problems is a single run of 75 feet of LMR-400 with factory terminated PL-259s between the BN-4000 and ground window UHF female termination. My current installation is 60 feet of RG-9913, a UHF double female adapter and a ten foot RG-8214 jumper.

I know the half inch Andrews Heliax has a much lower loss figure (0.357 db per 100 feet at 30MHz) for a given length versus the same length of LMR 400 (0.7 db per 100 feet at 30MHz) , but I'm thinking those three adapters (six connection points for loss) and their potential problems make it a wash or maybe the advantage goes to the 75 foot run of LMR-400.

I'd be interested in any comments or experiences you might have on the subject.

73 ES DX,
Gary -- AB9M