Re: [TenTec] which balun?

To: rmcgraw@blomand.net, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] which balun?
From: Richards <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 17:04:08 -0400
Golly, no. I thought Rick mentioned that, and posted a ink to a photo of one he uses.

On the other hand, I am under the impression a well made balun on a sufficiently large and appropriate formula ferrite core works better than a coil of cable - even assuming you are careful to make it a proper coil, as many hams make them loosey goosey and allow the early loops to overlap the later ones (which sorta cancels out the whole effect...) and often fail to provide appropriate and even spacing between the loops on the coil, etc., (to avoid capacitance between the turns, I think.) The one on Rick's web site is a beautiful example, with a good sized air space, and perfectly spaced windings. The Alpha Delta antenna folks just say to make a wad of coax, and I hardly think that works as well as one carefully and properly spaced.

http://www.dj0ip.de/my-station/oklahoma-2010/#

Just My take.