Re: [TenTec] Eagle vs. TS-590S SPLIT

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Eagle vs. TS-590S SPLIT
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 09:02:14 +0200
John,

As I said in an earlier post, if you only use an Eagle and no other radio,
you get used to it.

Of course I hit A=B first, which requires hitting FUNC/A=B/FUNC, but that is
just ONE TIME at the beginning of my period of calling CQ.  It's not like
you're hitting it every 10 seconds.  I generally will CQ for about an hour,
then go back to S&P.

Without thinking, I know exactly what to punch and how many times.
It becomes intuitive.
Same for the operation when you want more bandspread on the VFO knob.
You have to hit the button 4 times.  So I punch it 4 times, rapidly, wasting
an entire second.
It would have been MUCH better if they had implemented a 2-button system as
Elecraft did with the K3.
But they didn't, so I just deal with it.

Granted, if you change radios back and forth, then for certain you will have
trouble using the Eagle!

I would equate this to driving a car with a 4-speed transmission, then
buying a new car with a 6 speed transmission. It is strange at first but
within a very short time it is intuitive and you don't even think about it.
I had a 6 speed in my Alpha Romeo.  Driving that was like driving an Eagle:
a lot of fun!

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)