Re: [TenTec] Eagle vs. TS-590S + Amp question

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Eagle vs. TS-590S + Amp question
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 14:38:21 +0200
Gary, John,

I'll group these because it's kinda the same answer.

The Model 318 is certainly a TEN-TEC product.
And you are correct, you cannot find it on the Ten-Tec web site.
However it is still for sell.  Call Ten-Tec Sales or send an email to
sales@tentec.com .
I think it was about $100, dunno for sure, I bought mine in Germany and paid
in EURO.

You ask a loaded question:  would any amp I/F work.

Despite lots of positive input, most hams don't understand the timing issues
of QSK keying.
Be careful.

The ARB-704 will only take over the task of keying the amp's relay.
It doesn't have any time sequencing features.

The Model 318 has an adjustable post-dit delay that you do need when keying
older amps with open-frame T/R relays, or any modern Ameritron amp that has
not been equipped with the optional QSK-5 circuitry.  The Eagle needs this.
The TS-590 does not.
The TS-590 has proper time sequencing options (menu adjustable) which are
switched off by default, so you must switch them on and set them right.  Set
the pre-dit delay (probably called something like TX delay) to its highest
selectable value of 25ms and the post dit delay (adjustable in 50ms steps)
to about 200ms or more.  Then the timing will be correct for keying any amp
with open-frame relay.  I cannot recall if the 590 has relay keying or just
transistor keying.  If just transistor keying and you want to be extra
cautious, you can use something like the ARB-704.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)