Re: [TenTec] MIKE & Eagle

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] MIKE & Eagle
From: Richards <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2014 16:23:44 -0400
John --

My test for mic quality is to make a recording on the computer using a low sampling rate, maybe 11.5 Hz - and if it sounds OK, then it should sound OK on the air. If not, try another model.

There was a good discussion in a brief article, with schematics for various condenser type microphone headset designs, on page 64 of the November 2013 QST Magazine, which match computer gaming headsets to transceiver microphone inputs. Perhaps that would be of some assistance as you match a computer headset to the rig.

Personally I prefer an L-pad voltage divider to a single resistor, as I am told (by others who know more than I do ) that makes it easier to predict the level of attenuation. I also employ a capacitor to guaranty DC stays off the audio input (although K9YC is undoubtedly correct modern radios are likely internally protected already ) - I like belt and suspenders redundancy, I guess.

As for sound quality of various sets, I figure the microphones vary least, while earphone receivers vary most. Most gaming headsets employ a $2 (or cheaper!) electret condenser microphone capsule and often sound the same - differences are caused more by the acoustics of the mic shell and boom arm assembly than differences in capsule characteristics. Thus, "most" any inexpensive headset should produce acceptable communications grade audio, and sound good on the air. I doubt if YaeComWood uses any better or more expensive capsules in the supplied hand microphones... and they sound good enough on the air. I have sample recordings of LOADS of little microphones, and they are all pretty much equivalent. My favorite are found on eBay for $1 delivered. No one has ever correctly selected a sound sample from it, from among several other samples of expensive gaming headsets. You can buy little condenser capsules at Radio Shack for $2, and they sound great.

I recently repaired my friend's favorite Yamaha CM-500 headset which had developed an intermittent in the microphone wiring scheme - replacing the entire boom arm with one from a very cheap $5 headset acquired on eBay.com - and he is thrilled it works as well as it did before. So, in my take, microphone quality is not (usually) the determining factor in one's purchase decision.

In contrast, earphone receiver quality can vary substantially. So variation in earphone quality determines the price point where you may find happiness.

Many hams have had success with the above mentioned circuits published in QST - in fact I recently built one for a ham with Parkinson's Disease. Those with more patience than I ( like K4TAX) can mount all the components inside an 8-pin Foster plug - while go right to surrender, and build them on small PCBs in plastic or metal project boxes. (photos of both types available on request...)

Anyway - post me off list if you would like photos or more info on matching this type of headset to the rig.