Re: [TenTec] MIKE & Eagle

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] MIKE & Eagle
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2014 00:06:08 -0700
On Sat,8/23/2014 6:32 PM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX wrote:
As to using a headset type mike, the proper values resistors and a DC coupling capacitor will be needed.

Off list, to avoid confusing the natives. Bob, I really question the need for anything more than a single resistor on the order of 5K from V+ to the high mic lead. The single resistor works fine with the vast majority of unbalanced electret mics, and since electret mics have been really common with ham rigs for at least 20 years, I can't imagine a modern rig whose mic input isn't DC blocked.

As to VOX operation -- while I agree that electret mics tend to be hotter, a designer would have to be pretty dumb to put the VOX gain takeoff BEFORE the mic gain. Have you encountered rigs where this was done?

73, Jim K9YC