Re: [TenTec] din connector, etc.

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] din connector, etc.
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 11:08:12 +0200
Jim, I just sent an email explaining exactly how the Eagle works.
The Orion and Omni VII both have 15mS initial delay.  The Eagle is 17.

"17mS" is relative.

For amps with vacuum relays or PIN Diode switching, it is long.
For amps with open-frame relays it is too short.

I have never seen an open-frame relay that can switch in all cases, no
matter what, in less than 20ms.
The open-frame relay used in all Ameritron amps can occasionally take as
long as 22mS - even though Ameritron advertises 15mS.

When I built my time sequence keyer back in the late 1970s, I used 25mS
delay.
That's what you needed on the older amps with their open-frame relays.

I'm currently running an old SB-1000 which is the same amp as the Ameritron
AL-80A.
Like all Ameritron's, it uses that old-fashion open-frame T/R relay.

In addition to the 17mS delay that the Eagle produces, I am also giving it
an extra 10mS delay through an external time-sequencer.  In contests I use
about 200mS hang delay, but in normal QSOs I up it to 500mS hang delay.

In contests I tend to operate around 30wpm but sometimes go up to 40wpm in
pileups.
I can't copy faster than that.

BTW, Bob recently measured his brand new Ameritron AL-80B and essentially
confirmed my timing recommendations which I measured back in the 70s while
working for Rhode und Schwarz.

Check the timing options on the Kenwood TS-590 or 990;
The pre-dit delay has 3 options:  0, 10, 25ms.
The hang can be adjusted in small increments up to about 1s.

"0" is when using an external device to control the time sequencing
"10" is for use with amps with fast switching relays
"25" is for use with amps with open-frame relays.

I'm not fan of Kenwood, but they got their keying timing spot on!

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt am Main)