Re: [TenTec] OT: Simple antenna software w/impedance

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Simple antenna software w/impedance
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 15:00:51 -0700
On Mon,7/18/2016 2:38 PM, Peter Klein wrote:
It seems like the best antenna for me will be a horizontal loop fed with 450 or 300 ohm line.

Why does it "seem" that way? Here's some actual science specifically intended on choosing between various antenna options. http://k9yc.com/AntennaPlanning.pdf

One thing it clearly shows is that a GOOD vertical mounted in the range of 20-30 ft can be a very effective antenna on the HF bands, especially if you happen to live where the ground conductivity is good. According to this map,

https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/m3-ground-conductivity-map

your ground conductivity isn't very good, but I would still consider on of the R-series verticals at roof level. If you mount it on a pole, it needs to be a non-conductive pole. Don't even think of mounting it at ground level. The tutorial shows why.

If you decide to go with a horizontal antenna, higher is better.

If you don't already own a copy of the ARRL Antenna Book, now would be a REALLY good time to buy one. The ON4UN book is also quite good for 160, 80, and 40M antennas.

73, Jim K9YC