Re: [TenTec] Scads of used Icom IC-7300

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Scads of used Icom IC-7300
From: "rick@dj0ip.de" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2016 17:29:18 +0200
Gary,

The last four hf transceivers that Ten-Tec built did not have that keying loop
you described.
IMO "most" of the transceivers on the market today do not have that keying loop
that you described.

Hundreds of members of my contest club will cringe at the thought of switching
with PIN diodes, even at 100w.
Here in Europe on large antennas at night on the low bands, especially 40m, PIN
diodes can partially forward bias and create IMD products.

All the strong arguments you hear from engineers in favor of PIN diodes are
coming from the states, not from the engineers in Europe.  A reed relay is a
better option.

Apparently I am "holier" than most hams because I have never hesitated to drill
a hole in the top of my brand new car to mount my UHF antenna, nor to drill a
hole in the radio, especially in the back panel.  When I do modify a radio, it
is well documented so that anyone who owns the radio later (and still has the
manual) has no problem to see what was done.

Ten-Tec did not deny service to modified radios.
Not sure what their current position on that point is, though.

In the day and age of the need to switch many devices between TX and RX, as
well as the fear of most hams to make the slightest little mod to their
precious radio, it is time to strongly consider using an external keyer rather
than the transceiver's built in keyer.

There are external keyers with multiple keying jacks each with adjustable
timing and even hang delay for the amp, if so desired.  This is the only way I
see to have your cake and eat it too.

On the mod bit, THANK GOD hams 20 years ago did not have that silly opinion.
Yaesu sold an awful lot of FT-1000 xx transceivers and for the first 8 years
(at least) with horrendous key clicks.  A $3 mod to the radio designed by W8JI
easily fixed it, yet Yaesu refused to do so until their 3rd version of that
radio came out.  These were so bad, when used with an amp, they could easily be
40 or 50 kHz wide.   Luckily hams modified [almost] all of them.  It is rare
now days to find one that was not modified unless the original owner did not
work CW.  BTW, ICOM had the same thing with their IC-202 and IC-402
transceivers, but the mod curing it was published in every ham mag around the
world.

BTW, the mod I describe is not only usable with an external preselector, you
can also use it to insert noise cancelors such as the ANC-4, without the need
to switch it in and out during RX and TX.

73 - Rick, DJ0IP
(Nr. Frankfurt, Germany)