Re: [TenTec] Century 21 audio hum

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Century 21 audio hum
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2017 19:39:37 -0400
I'm a firm believer in synthetic grease - but the right synthetic grease.
Look for Mobil 1 and Valvoline Synpower products.  It's a light, almost
fluffy grease with texture much like spackling compound.  Unlike
petroleum-based axle grease, it doesn't age.

I first used Tri-Flow grease on a Drake 1A tuning mechanism and the result
was an absolute disaster.  It was so bad, I thought the gear reduction
tuning mechanism was destroyed.  This was not a fault of the Tri-Flow;
rather, it was my failure to understand how pressure and Teflon (PTFE) work
together.  Tri-Flow is a PTFE-based synthetic grease.  The moral of that
story is never, ever use a Teflon-based grease on high pressure points.  It
may seem trivial, but large pressures are present in some dial reduction
mechanisms. Teflon grease breaks down under high pressure and causes gear
seizure.

After a complete disassembly and cleaning of the 1A's tuning mechanism, I
then used SynPower grease.  The difference is incredible.  The 1A now has a
velvet feel that hasn't changed in several years.  This is not to say that
Tri-Flow won't work on the Ten Tec PTO.  Obviously, it does as there have
been many happy users.  I can say that the success is due to the synthetic
nature of Tri-Flow and that the PTO also has no high pressure points.   But,
unless you have a specific need for Tri-Flow (e.g., as a water sealant), I
recommend using the Mobil 1 and Valvoline SynPower products in these
applications.

Paul, W9AC