Re: [TenTec] Century 22

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>, Josh Gibbs <gibbsjj@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Century 22
From: "Bob, WB2VUF via TenTec" <tentec@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2020 10:41:29 -0400
Hi, Josh,

Congratulations!  The Century 22 is a very nice rig.  I bought one used some years ago.  They are quite rare, but get very good ratings.  It's a good rig for casual operating and nets. It isn't so good for contests on a crowded band because being direct conversion, you get QRM from both sides of zero beat.  However, the audio filter is excellent.

A word of caution:  It is important to use the original power supply and to make sure that the current limit is set correctly, or use a fast-acting 5 Amp circuit breaker in the 13.8 V line. The C-22 has no internal SWR protection, so without current limiting or a breaker, a few dits transmitted into the wrong antenna will destroy the finals instantly.  I learned this the hard way.

I have  a scan of the manual which I will send you.  It's a little better quality than the Ten Tec scan.  I got it off the G3YCC web site. My copy has some typed notes from G3VTT on the table of contents page regarding bias settings and final replacement.  Ten Tec replaced the original MRF-475 finals and MRF-476 drivers with the 2SC1969, which are more robust.  Genuine Mitsubishi 2SC1969s are available from RF Parts Co.   Beware of  on-line sellers who market counterfeit 2SC1969s for the CB market.

73,

Bob WB2VUF