Re: Topband: C52

To: "Chortek, Robert L" <Robert.Chortek@berliner.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: C52
From: herbs@surfvi.com
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 14:07:24 -0400
Cecil Wrote:
>   Last nite C52 had a decent signal for at least an hour or more,
> > I finally gave up and shut down the rig.  Just wanted to know
> > if they hear as bad as it seems, I only heard them work a
> > few stations in that hour, and many were calling,

North West Africa is a great place for propagation on the lower bands into
NA at times.  I have operated beachside from The Gambia in 1994 (C56/KV4FZ)
and was amazed at the reports I received for 100 watts and a low dipole from
the states.  However one thing that never changed for the months there was the
constant ear drum busting static S meter pinning static.  The path this time
of year looks across the ITCZ which seems to be a constant QRN generator.  I
recall S9SS had similar experiences with tropical static which never seems
to quit but Charles persistence and dedication to 160 made contacts
possible.  Heck,  I call Charles for a full year before I ever got in
the log!.
No Charles was not deaf as spotters claimed but the QRN is certainly
deafening in that part of the world.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ