Re: Topband: C52

To: <raoulc@smmcape.co.za>, <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: C52
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 09:51:31 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Raoul Coetzee" <raoulc@smmcape.co.za>

Herb wrote:

 However one thing that never changed for the months there was the
constant ear drum busting static S meter pinning static.  The path this
time
of year looks across the ITCZ which seems to be a constant QRN generator.
recall S9SS had similar experiences with tropical static which never seems>
to quit but Charles persistence and dedication to 160 made contacts
possible. Heck, I call Charles for a full year before I ever got in
the log!.
No Charles was not deaf as spotters claimed but the QRN is certainly
deafening in that part of the world.

One thing topband has taught me: Never assume you can be heard as well or as
poor as the station you are trying to work and do not jump to conclusions
about the other stations ability to hear or work you on a given day.
Tomorrow it may be different.

My hat off to the crew at C52, they do it for us, thank you.
Raoul, ZS1REC

This is good advice, Raoul. I once spent several days on a dry lake bed using just my portable 45ft vertical TX antenna for receive. The first night I was there, apparently there was a thunderstorm within a single hop of the QTH and I couldn't hear much of anything except the guys in Arizona calling the DX I couldn't hear through the S9+20 static crashes. The next night, the QRN went away and I was treated to one of the quietest locations I'd every had the pleasure to operate from.

What a difference a day can make :-)