Topband: Edger for burying ground radials ?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Edger for burying ground radials ?
From: "Craig Clark" <jcclark@radiusnorth.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 16:36:18 -0500
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 10:29:01 -0600
From: Ed Stallman <n5dg@airmail.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Edger for burying ground radials ?
To: topband@contesting.com

Thanks to everyone that replied with your experience using an edger
and the methods used placing the wire in the ground. Many are saying
to staple and the grass will cover them in the spring. I would like
to do it that way and have tried with a 40m vertical. What happened
is when the guy cuts the hay, all is fine but then when he rakes my
copper is somewhere in that roll of hay. The ex pence for the edger
is more then I would like to spend, thinking I can sell come spring.

Lots if good information from the group , thanks again for sharing

Ed N5DG

Ed,

Hay fields are not the same as lawns. After you cut the hay and let it dry,
you run a tedder over it to fluff it up. The tines on the tedder will pull
the wire up as you have learned. The you have to "windrow" rake the hay and
again, the tines on the rake will pull even more wire up. I wouldn't be
happy to find wire twisted up in my in my bailer.

I have two hay fields I could use for radials but unless I bury the radials,
they are just going to come up.

Craig K1QX