[TowerTalk] Waterproofing Connectors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Waterproofing Connectors
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 07:44:53 -0500
At 06:19 AM 12/3/01 -0800, Jerry Kincade wrote:

>Back in my days as a Ship Repair Superintendent with the good ole USN, we
>used this stuff (in large sizes like 2-1/2" and 3") to seal sonar dome cable
>connections during refits and overhauls. It was 100% reliable then (we hated
>it when our ships leaked), so no reason to assume it's any different now.
>Don't use it where any flexing might occur, the stuff we used was very rigid
>after setting up. And it might be holy hell to get off if you ever have to
>disassemble the connection.

When I read one of these recurrent threads about waterproofing connectors,
I think I must be leading a charmed life.  In 6 years, I have had exactly
two water-caused failures, both at the same joint where my hardline
terminates and starts up the tower as RG-213.  Nothing else has failed or
shown any signs of flakiness.  The last of these was 4 years ago, and the
joint is still sealed only with a thorough several-layer taping of Scotch 88.

Admittedly, this area doesn't have the weather extremes that some report,
but it is a normal 40 degrees North,  non-seashore environment.  I have
found that my Yaesu rotator connectors have held up fine with nothing at
all over them.  The UHFs on my antenna switch and 80-meter array also do
just fine untaped, and are protected only by drip loops and by being on the
underside of their respective boxes.

Not boasting, just wondering about overkill(?).

73, Pete N4ZR
www.qsl.net/n4zr

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----