[Towertalk] CRANK UP TOWERS

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] CRANK UP TOWERS
From: Bill Otten" <res0958z@verizon.net (Bill Otten)
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 14:56:01 -0500
Yes! One of the benefits to having the crank-up /tilt-over tower IS the
capability of removing it from harm's way during severe weather. Being a
Florida resident (besides being a resident in the Lightning capital of the
USA -- we just lost the world title to Rwanda!) we occasionally get a major
storm. Anyone who thought their tower might survive -- guyed or otherwise
during Hurricane Andrew got his hurricane party started a bit too early.
Common sense would suggest that if homes, railcars, yachts, buildings,
trees, and just about everything else was in danger -- towers might be
also??  Having the crank down/tiltover tower tremendously reduces the risk
to calamity too -- again, simple common sense. Tilted over, my tower sits
lower than the eave of my home and once tilted is supported by the base
fixture and the support fixture some 25 feet away. Undeniably, it's MUCH
safer that way in severe winds than extended to it's full 60' height with 12
sq. ft. of antenna!

Bill KC9CS