[Towertalk] CRANK UP TOWERS - Not a panacea

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] CRANK UP TOWERS - Not a panacea
From: steve@oakcom.com (Steve Maki)
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 00:50:34 -0500
KC9CS wrote:

>Regarding the safety of a crank up tilt-over -- how can you substantiate
>your opinion that a crankup/tiltover is LESS safe as far as servicing ? I
>don't have to deal with potential for collapse because it's NEVER climbed
>while extended, in fact -- it's never climbed! Why climb? That's what the
>point of my argument was --- the crankup tiltover can be lowered to ground
>level for any servicing. I replace any coax, any tower cabling, and
>adjustments, any routine maintainance from the safety of ground level. You
>want to know what the greatest danger from my crankup tiltover is ?? Bird
>Droppings! I'd go back and reread my original post again with careful
>attention to the adjectives -- "tremendously reduces" and "much safer", I'm
>not claiming a panacea here, just common sense. Working at ground level is
>safer than climbing aloft and a retracted, tilted over and secured tower is
>not going to be the same risk as a fully extended tower guyed or not, in big
>winds. How hard is that?
>Bill

Things may be different in Florida, but I've noted that most crankups
around here, after being up for 10 or 15 years, can't be folded over
anymore because of tree growth. Many can't even be retracted fully
without removing the yagis first. Household politics seems to prevent
the necessary trimming....

Not really a comment on crankups except that most of these towers
were purchased with all good intentions for self-service, and they
quite often end up being a real pain in the butt for the owner and
whoever he ends up hiring to work on it.

Steve K8LX