[Towertalk] CRANK UP TOWERS - Not a panacea

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] CRANK UP TOWERS - Not a panacea
From: Bill Otten" <res0958z@verizon.net (Bill Otten)
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 23:56:33 -0500
Yawn.......

Bill KC9CS

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim White, K4OJ" <k4oj@tampabay.rr.com>
To: "Bill Otten" <res0958z@verizon.net>; <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Friday, March 15, 2002 2:21 am
Subject: Re: [Towertalk] CRANK UP TOWERS - Not a panacea

> I am waiting for the professionals to reply...
>
> I see you have never witnessed a foldover/nested tower
collapse...something
> which can never happen with a fixed tower...period!

Check again Jim.....fixed towers can't collapse.... period?
http://www.eteamradio.com/klor_tower_collapse.htm

http://www.cnn.com/US/9610/12/briefs.pm/tower/tower.html

> Again I think you are really selling yourself that you have some sort of
> control over what Mother Nature is going to do in times of a
> Hurricane

No, I'm not. As a nearly 40 year resident of Florida (both coasts) I've seen
my share of Hurricanes. And that's what drove me to consider a
crankup/tiltover tower.

> As far as what is safer...I would rather work aloft on a fixed tower than
> stand on a step ladder putting boom to mast bolts on a beam going on a
> tiltover tower....

Convince me a fall from a fixed tower is 'safer' than a step ladder.