[Towertalk] 620/340

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] 620/340
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 09:47:12 EDT
In a message dated 4/14/02 6:33:18 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
n4zr@contesting.com writes:

> Steve and I have agreed to disagree on the need for additional rivets.  I
>  have not had anything even approaching an element rivet failure in 5 years
>  with 3 force12 antennas.

    Well, location is everything. Guys in more wind-prone areas (like Texas)
DO have this problem and I highly recommend anyone putting in a couple of
back-up off-setting rivets. Hey - couldn't hurt!

    Our Texas compadres called KLM antennas Konstantly Losing Metal. They
typically function as a great antenna destruct lab.

>  In my limited experience, anything that breaks up the smooth surface of
the
>  elements, such as bolts or (gasp) tubing clamps, displays an almost
magical
>  ability to latch onto the nearest guy wire or tag line during installation.

    AMEN! Hoseclamps on elements - UGHH. Viva la rivets!

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH