[Towertalk] 620/340

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] 620/340
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 09:19:13 -0400
At 12:56 PM 4/14/02 +0000, Phil Duff wrote:
>Instead of double/triple-rowing the joint rivets why not use a couple of
>small stainless screws/bolts with appropriate lock washers and nuts or
>nylock nuts?     As matter of fact if there is a need to double/triple-row
>the rivets to prevent potential mechanical problems maybe rivets are not
>the best way to secure the joints - just use screws/bolts?

Steve and I have agreed to disagree on the need for additional rivets.  I
have not had anything even approaching an element rivet failure in 5 years
with 3 force12 antennas.

In my limited experience, anything that breaks up the smooth surface of the
elements, such as bolts or (gasp) tubing clamps, displays an almost magical
ability to latch onto the nearest guy wire or tag line during installation.

73, Pete N4ZR

Check out the World HF
Contest Station Database at
www.pvrc.org