Re: [TowerTalk] Non-metallic towers and guy wires

To: Red <RedHaines@centurytel.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Non-metallic towers and guy wires
From: "Jim White, K4OJ" <k4oj@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 10:48:38 -0500
...there is an old QST - circa 60's I think that had a picture of a "topped" tree with a rotator and yagi on it. I would hate to have to use those tree climbing leg dagger boots but can see where this is a workable solution! I bet if someone did that today they would have the entire village of environmental whackos upon them!

Racing cars/bicycles have a lot of carbon products that are lightweight but very strong - while an antenna modeling dream, a non-metallic tower has financially got to be out of the question.

73,

Jim, K4OJ

Red wrote:

In days of old, when trees grew tall and straight, many towers and other structures were built of wood.

Utility poles are good for some purposes. The station, Desert Voices, near Farmington, MN, built and operated to support MARS during Desert Storm, had stacked rhombics on 90 foot poles loaned and erected by a local utility company.

73 de WOØW